10.27.2007

8 CANstruction

So here is the project that has gotten my Cure totally off track...

CANstruction is an AIA sponsored event where architectural firms and schools have twelve hours to build structures/sculptures of cans and food products...they are judged and awards are given...then all of the food is donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank...so its a win-win situation: the firm and the sponsors get publicity, you get to do something fun with your group, and a huge donation is made to the food bank.

I was kinda forced into being in charge this year, as the former CANstruction leader of our firm just left to form her own firm...so she passed the torch...I had never participated in this event while I was at Tulane and the firm hasn't participated since I've worked there...needless to say I was a bit anxious about the whole thing...especially after horror stories of the structures falling in years past...

I'm happy to report that our structure came together perfectly...no structural failures...and my co-captain Dante and I led our happy design team to create an amazing structure...I'm really proud...

So with out further ado, I present...our mexi.CAN.tina....aka the TACO TRUCK

mexi.CAN.tina (n): A FESTIVE EXAMPLE OF MOBILE ARCHITECTURE REPRESENTING THE SPICY NEW INGREDIENTS OF NEW ORLEANS' CULTURAL GUMBO AND THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE REBIRTH OF THE CITY.

UPDATE: Last night at the judging we won one of the most prestigious awards...BEST MEAL!


8 comments:

kbaker said...

That is amazing!

Alana in Canada said...

Husband what's to know if it's solid.

That's a LOT of cans! Cool beans.

Come organize my pantry into something nifty, would ya?

Jessica said...

lol...I don't know Alana, I'm so sore today, I think my moving can days are over for a while...

It is not completely solid, there are two rows of cans around the perimeter with rows of cans in between...It has over 2700 cans as is, it would have taken about 1000 more to make it solid...

drwende said...

That is a hoot -- so cool!

Congratulations on the award, too!

Mella DP said...

Ha, great project! Congrats!

sarah said...

our office has never participated in CANstruction for some reason... i think we have enough people now we should get in on it next year. i love the taco truck!

Unknown said...

You freaking rule!!!! I mean I always knew you and Dante were talented but I guess I never realized how much work went into designing something. It was an honor and a priledge to be part of the building team!!!!

Jessica said...

Thanks guys! It was really fun...

and Kelli thank you so much for being part of the team, you were a huge help and made things a lot more fun...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...